Willpower is defined as discipline and self-restraint. It is self-control, self-discipline, self-mastery. Opposite of will power is incontinence and unconstraint.
Our aim in life should be to develop our willpower by avoiding useless talk, purposeless work, futile controversies, fault finding tendencies, backbiting, lurid thoughts and all such distractions which dissipate our vital mental energies. Good thoughts bring rewards while bad thoughts bring punishment.
Will Power Is When:
- Everything you have worked for crumbles in front of you and you manage to pick up the pieces and create something just as beautiful!
- You strive consistently irrespective of the giant wheel of successes and failures.
- You stand up for what you believe in amidst naysayers who laugh at your philosophies and ideals. It takes integrity and respect to voice your beliefs and stands by them when you are in the minority.
- You slowly but surely move closer to your goals and make the dreams you envisioned a reality.
- Every possession you prized and every success symbol you paraded once is brutally snatched away from you and you go about acquiring new ones.
- You realize that you are the sole architect of your destiny and spend every second constructing the best for yourself!
Why Will Power Is Important?
Because, unfortunately, we are not machines that can do anything as long as we can. If we were automatic machines with no need to recharge beyond nutrition and fluids, we would create supreme industries and maximize our productions.
- People wouldn’t demand high salaries for jobs as a source of motivation.
- They wouldn’t need all the complex of social and romantic drama and excitement just to reproduce.
- People wouldn’t suffer from addictions, because addictions rely on the person wanting to consume the addicting substance or action.
- There would be no rapes because willpower is also existent in sexuality.
- Laziness would be non-existent because no willpower would make us feel good by being lazy or by procrastinating.
- People would be more physically healthy because they would only need to know the benefit of physical activity to become more fit and strong.
- Candies, drugs, alcohol, addictive video games – they would serve no function because people would not need to fight against their willpower for the sake of their wellbeing.
However will power is important because it serves as our primary motivations to commit some activities and discard the rest, and the more willpower we possess, the more motivated and, perhaps, successful, we would be by achieving said things.
The Importance Never Ends
This also serves as a double-edged sword, because our willpower can be against our good. The more we base our actions on mere willpower, the more dependent we shall be on that willpower and its level of dominance on us, rather than relying on our knowledge.
This is why we recommend not to heavily rely on willpower alone because willpower is temporary and limited energy. Knowledge and awareness, however, are more beneficial to rely upon as our sources of action because they are more solid and more convincing for the long-term.
Will power is nothing more than a biochemical reaction that can change anytime whatever the circumstances are. We should look at the bigger picture and view ourselves as more than the current emotion we are feeling. We should, in other words, do things not primarily because we want, but because we are aware of the benefits and the possible results of the actions we commit.